Feeling chilly? Warm up with the ultimate bowl of comfort. Here’s Chef Joanna’s recipe for a deliciously cheesy, melty topping for a warm cup of tomato soup.
Chef Joanna’s Tomato Soup Topping:
- 4-6 slices of your favorite baguette cut into 1” slices or sourdough bread*
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of grated Manchego Cheese, depending on preferred level of cheesiness or your favorite hard cheese (gruyere, white cheddar, provolone) or hard vegan cheese that melts nicely
- 2 bowls of your favorite Tomato Soup
Slice baguette into 1” slices with enough to generously cover mouth of bowl (depending on bowl size, typically 2-3 slices). If using a bread loaf, cut two slices and quarter or you can also use a cookie cutter to cut out a few circles or shapes for some playful fun.
Place bread on a baking sheet. Top bread generously with cheese and place under broiler. Each oven’s broiler is different so watch for cheese to melt and get bubbly. My oven broiler takes about 3-5 minutes.
Heat soup. (Looking for a tasty Tomato Soup? We suggest Souperb’s Tomato with Fennel Seeds.) Ladle into bowls and top with cheesy bread. Optional garnish with a touch of chopped thyme or parsley. Enjoy!
*Check out our favorite local Gluten Free recommendations for a delicious baguette or bread to use in this recipe.
- Mariposa Baking Co. – https://www.mariposabaking.com/collections/breads/products/12-baguette
- Bread SRSLY – https://breadsrsly.com/collections/featured-products